Rockie Mountain Trip - Day +5

Tonight you find Steve and I in Glenwood Springs CO. We left Durango around 8AM and headed straight down HW 160 to Four Corners. From there we back tracked on HW 160 to Cortez and then headed North on West Dolores Road (HW 145). At Placerville we took a right onto HW 62 to Ridgeway. At Ridgeway we headed North on HW 550, to Delta. At Delta we took a right onto HW 92 towards Hotchkiss. At Hotchkiss we headed North on HW 133 right up to Glenwood Springs. 390 miles today. Thats it... You can leave now! No wait theres more!
Four Corners was interesting. We left the motel this morning and headed right to the site. We contemplated cutting it from the route because of time considerations. Because this is a site I have always wanted to see, we went there. I figure getting there and visiting the site would cost us up to 2 hours. After discussing it with Steve, we adjusted our route in other area's and decided not to spend a lot of time sight seeing on the rest of the route. The ride there and back out was on the same road. The site is in the middle of nowhere, in a desert, on an Native American Indian Reservation. This is the only point in the USA where 4 states all come together; Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. To visit, the locals charge a small fee of $3 which I thought was worth it. Surrounding the area the locals have booths set up to sell trinkets and food items. Our timing was good, because there wasn't a crowd and the temperature was still mild. Steve and I stood on site; got our pictures taken; drank a bottle of water; road our bikes around the site and then headed on.
As we headed up HW 145; also known as Dolores road, I made Steve pull over so I could take a picture of the Dolores city sign. I thought it would be neat to give the picture to my friends wife; Deloris. I didn't realize their names were different until tonight when I sent Mark an email. The town of Dolores had a convenience store called 'Joeys'. Their oldest son is name Joe.
There was a lot of evidence of rock slides on the road today. I kept looking at the boulders on the side of the road and wondered if any could come tumbling down on us. It really made we respect the signs that say 'Watch For Falling Rock'. Now this reminds me of an old legend my daddy told me once about an Indian Chief and his beautiful daughter. I don't know if Dad remembers telling it to me. Don't worry, I won't tell it know. Maybe some other time.

The southern part of HW 550 is also known as the million dollar highway.
"There are a variety of explanations regarding the source of the name for the "Million Dollar Highway." One version claims it is based on the value of the ore-bearing fill that was used to construct the road, and another says it refers to the high cost of building a road over Red Mountain Pass (11,008 feet) and the Uncompahgre Gorge. One thing no one will dispute is the million dollar views around every turn. This marvel of engineering, designed by Russian immigrant Otto Mears, slices through rugged mountains as it follows old stagecoach routes and former pack trails. A journey that took weeks in pre-car days is now less than a two-hour journey if the road is dry and the driver is able to resist stopping to enjoy the awesome views."
We didn't travel this part of the road on this trip. We have to leave some routes for the next trip

On HW 133 we passed by several Coal Mines located high in the mountains; really high. These mines reminded me that within all the beauty, there is still a need for commerce activity to exist to provide jobs and income to the area. The existence of the road, in good shape, most likely is due to this mining activity. Employees need to get to work and some deliveries by truck are needed. In addition to the roads, a railroad exists to service the mines. With the steep mountains, I imagine it is difficult to bring the trains downhill. These mines and the railroad provides a means of existence to the community. Through good stewardship, the environmental footprint of the mine is minimal to the beauty of the land. The existence of a good road allows me to travel safely and spend my vacation dollars in the area; bringing more commerce to the region. If the mines were to be shut down, the railroads would follow, the road would degrade, motorcyclists like me wouldn't travel through the area and the community would die. Economey 101.

Tonight was my choice for a motel. I didn't want to just jump into a Super 8 or any other chain motel. We almost pulled into a local motel as we entered town. But I was driven on to find out what else existed. Last night we pulled into a Super 8 because we were tired and needed to get off the road. When we went out for dinner we found cheaper and more interesting local motels downtown. Last night I learned that we needed to check out the town and what it has to offer before we check in. Tonight's motel has some old time ambiance. The desk clerk was a cranky lady that offered us the room at one price and then told us to talk her down. I said what? Thats what my wife is good at. The clerk walked us through the barter process where we counter, then she counters, then we counter and then she says her bottom line was.... How funny. Both Steve and I think we got a good room for a good price. Later I asked her for some towels to wipe the bikes off. She told me I needed to grovel for them better then I was doing, mean while she immediately walked into the back room and got me a handful of towels. More than what we needed and then thanked me for not using the room towels. We think her cranky attitude isl her way to put some fun into her job.

Have you wondered how Steve planned out such a great trip. Well, first he's been in the area a few times. But he also obtained a book called "Colorado Riders Guide". A lot of great riding roads are outlined in this book. I applaud him, for the journey's been great.

Other than Four Corners, there was only one other stop today. We got fuel and a Subway sandwhich at the town of Ridgeway. We still are getting good gas milage.

Dinner tonight was at a steak joint called "Juicy Lucy's". Good steak! I know; this is also the name of a great hamburger sold in some locations of MN.

Tomarrow is our last planned day in Colorado. After tomarrow, we turn East towards home. We plan to ride in the Gore mountain range and the Rocky Mountain National Park; Este Park. If we have any time left, we'll head down Pike National Forest. Come back and find out how we do!

TTFN - LA I love you lots - Todd

Comments

joe said…
If y'all overshoot headed eastbound, the door's always open. lol. It looks like you guys are having a great trip out west. Rock on! Y'all stay safe.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like a GREAT time - gatta say! Also looks like the weather's been cooperating too... Looking forward to hearing more; stay safe B
Anonymous said…
Looks absolutely fantastic! On the Dolores sign it says 'Idling Ordinance Enforced'... So were you idling er what? I've never seen an sign like that. Going cross-eyed with testing... Hope the weather holds. - db

Popular posts from this blog

Poem titled "Me Mudder"

Don't we ever learn from History!

April 8th My birthday and an eclipse