Kicks on Route 66


I'm a little late posting this, but I thought I'd update this blog on my route 66 ride. My brother Steve, again, was my wing man for this trip. We are a good riding team, with equal endurance, tastes, and similar ride.

We left Tuesday May 27th, traveling along the roads of the mighty Mississippi well down into the state of Iowa. Then we turned left and travelled into Illinois, north of Springfield. The next day we caught up with 66, following it through St Louis into the state of Missouri. The picture above is from the Ted Drews frozen custurd stand. A yummy stop to cool off. In Mo, 66 basically follows interstate 44. Day three we blasted down 44 from St James Mo into OK, where we jumped off the super slab onto the old highway. That night we ended in OK City and had dinner with my wife and members of her family. Day four we left OK City, road into Arkansas, turned north into Mo again and finished up in a rain storm in Columbia Mo. The last day we two laned it most of the way through Iowa and Minnesota to home. Approximately 2300 miles.



Original road in MO, paved with bricks

If you want to ride, riding 66 on a motorcycle for the sites doesn't seem to fit. By the time you get off the bike, take off you helmet and gloves, get the camera out, and then reverse the order, youv'e lost a 1/2 hour per site. My impression of riding 66: Skip MO. Most of the sites in MO can be seen from the freeway. Watch out in St Louis, MO. The neighborhood is not the best and traffic sucked. Start in OK. There is a lot more of the old road, and travel stops.

Original road in OK
Here is a link to a video put together by my brother. Enjoy!
Here is his web site:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem titled "Me Mudder"

Don't we ever learn from History!

April 8th My birthday and an eclipse