Check out the picture. Yep that motorcycle now resides in the Holmes garage. Its a 2012 Honda Goldwing, 1832CC, Five Speed with: Antilock brakes, built in Navigation, Cruise Control, Heated seats and grips, and Surround Sound. To enhance the stock model, we ordered the fog light kit, a rear spoiler and extended the warrant to 6 years.

How did this all happen?

The ST, my old bike, was a 2003 model with 55K miles on it. I took it into the dealer for a normal maintenance on Monday. This one was going to be expensive because it included the valve adjustment. We were looking at least $1000 for that. Then I was having a intermittant power issue that most likely would have resulted in a battery replacement costing $160, although I could have done that myself cheaper. With a long ride back down into Arkansas scheduled for late Sept, I would need at least a rear tire when I got back $300. Round this all up to $1500 in maintenance.

After we dropped the bike off at the shop, we went to the show room to look. We have been planning on a upgrade, but put it off till next year becasue of economy and such. The General Manager came up and said what did he have to do to get us on the bike. LoriAnn rattled off a ridiculous price and we would sign right then. The dealer didn't blink but started to work on numbers. His deal was alright, but wasn't as good as LoriAnn wanted. But it was his offer on the trade for the ST made me gulp; $5K. I thought I would be lucky to get over four after the maintenance. $5K + $1.5K - 5K... unless my math is wrong, thats a savings of 2.5K.

We went home on monday night and started some research with other dealers and got a $900 cheaper price for the bike from another. But we didn't have any trade in details from that dealer. Then we contacted my credit union and got pre approved for the loan. Then we scrutinized our own reserves to see how much $$$ we could put down with the trade.

Tuesday night, we went to the dealer and test drove a similar bike for 50 miles and loved it. Yes, LoriAnn rides in style back there. There is great manuerverability for me and comfort.

So, with a preapproved loan, money to spend, and a cheaper written quote from another dealer in hand, LoriAnn asked for another $500 off the price. The GM said yes. I love LA. She is so willing to work hard for a deal.... An even better part is, the finance manager was able to find us a loan that was 2% less than our Credit Union.

Wednesday at lunch, I said goodbye to the ST, I signed the papers and drove off the lot with only 1 mile on the odometer on the GL.

LoriAnn and I are considering this bike our anniversary present. It might also be my Christmas present. And birthday present for years to come. If not, I have a lot of farkles and bling to add to the bike that will make gift shopping easy for LoriAnn for many years to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem titled "Me Mudder"

Don't we ever learn from History!

April 8th My birthday and an eclipse