UTAH TRIP - DAY 8 Heading Home

What ever happened to the art of passing a car? Numerous times today I came upon a line of cars traveling down the highway. The lead car typically was traveling below the speed limit, nominally rubbernecking the scenery. The trailing cars just fell in line, content to follow one after another. Worst yet, they followed really close behind the other, bumper to bumper not giving anyone that did want to pass a chance an opportunity. Have Interstates ruined the art of passing? Are people just to chicken? What gives?

Thanks for listening to me rant.

I left Blanding Utah and headed up to Montrose Colorado. Along the way I ran into a bit of construction. Because of the slow down in traffic because of the construction, I saw a most gorgeous river valley scene. I may have missed the view completely if I was traveling at my normal pace.

From Montrose I drove east on HWY 50. Again because of a traffic construction slow down, I saw a most wonderful mountain scene.

Over by Salida Co I headed north and then picked up HWY 24 east again. I took 24, through Colorado Springs all the way over to Limon. I got to Colo Spgs about 3 PM and new I had to make a motel reservation somewhere down the line. Actually, I probably made the decision where I would land last night. That's why my mind wasn't in the touring mode. My target was Colby Kansas. If the weather and road conditions were favorable, this was possible. Don't get me wrong, I saw a lot of great scenes and I had many Deja vu moments. So there I was with 3-4 hours of sunlight and the weather was with me. Now, 654 miles later, I find myself in Colby and within another 12 hours away from home.

For those who were wondering, yesterdays ride was 415 miles. The air conditioner in my motel room died during the night. The night man gave me a fan to get me through the evening. In the morning I learned that this motel didn't provide breakfast. This motel chain is known for its super gr-eight continental breakfast. I was bummed.

Come back to find out if I make it home tomorrow.

Comments

Steve said…
todd, sounds to me like you're smelling the barn. You missed a good ride down Utah SR12 through Bryce. Started with a pass (9000 ft) and twisted through some great scenery. In SD now, it's great to be here. Steve

Popular posts from this blog

Poem titled "Me Mudder"

Don't we ever learn from History!

April 8th My birthday and an eclipse