Often times with today's political overtone, I ask myself; was my service in the military worth it?



I am a humble and proud man, so it’s hard to accept thanks. It should be a great honor to accept thanks from so many on Veterans Day. But today, its a question of 'why now?'

Sadly, the thanks for my service that I have received in the last couple of years, has been more than all the thanks I have gotten since 1981. Think about this: there are some veterans left from 1941 that are asking this same question.

Sometimes the thanks is rhetoric. No more than a passing such as 'How do you do', 'Fine thanks' . I saw it on my father’s face. After so many years had passed since he served. He stood proud when they honored vets at a 9/11 remembrance, with a look of 'You are welcome, but are you sincere?'.

In addition, there are veterans that have given so much more than I did. They deserve so much more than I. I survived my six years with only bumps, bruises, minor contusions and a lot of memories. So I ask the question 'Why me?'.


At the end of life, each veteran must ask themselves one more question. 'Have they lived a life that was worth the loss of the man next to them?'

From most of you I know this thanks is genuine and sincere, and I bow my head to you and say 'You are worth it!'

Always remember 'Freedom is not free!'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem titled "Me Mudder"

Don't we ever learn from History!

April 8th My birthday and an eclipse